Thursday, April 15, 2010

Month #1 = Strive for more energy

Last week, I declared the start of my Happiness Project, based on Gretchen Rubin’s “Happiness Project.” Each Thursday I’ll be writing about my process and the small steps I’m taking toward a happier me.

The first monthly “goal” Rubin sets for her happiness project is to improve her energy by focusing on things like getting more sleep, exercising better and having a positive outlook. Because everyone’s happiness plan is a bit different, there will be times throughout the process when I am sure I will deviate from her project and create my own way. For this month though, more energy definitely sounds like something that would add to my personal enjoyment and daily happiness. Every day, it seems from 3 p.m. on. I am in mega-need for a pick me up. Usually, I just push this aside and forge through the day. However, perhaps if I had more energy in general, the afternoon would be something I look forward to, instead of dread.

To start off, I am going to focus on exercising better. To me, this doesn’t mean overdoing it and setting crazy gym goals but finding a nice balance between getting healthy and exercising my body. As I’ve mentioned before, I started yoga in February and love it. As part of my plan, I am going to continue to commit to at least one class a week. This has already improved my mental state and flexibility. I am hoping in conjunction with my other exercise goals, it will start to improve my physical state as well.

Next, it’s time to strap on the sneakers and get walking. I’ve never been a “runner”. Yes, in junior high, I did run for field hockey and basketball but never for much enjoyment. However, I love to take a long walk, (preferably, along a nice warm beach, but I settle for my spring-time neighborhood!). Given the cold winter climate where I live, I tend to hibernate all winter and long for sunny days and warm temps. Rubin talked about how she started keeping track of her steps with the help of a handy pedometer. She set a goal of 10,000 steps each day. So last night, I picked up my own pedometer and after I figure it out, will be starting to keep track of my daily “steps”. I am fairly active during the day (or at least I think) so it will be interesting to see how much I really move. Even by incorporating this simple tool, along with a few extra weekly walks, I’ll be one ‘step’ closer to my goal. They say every journey begins with a first step…so here I go on my way to a happier me.

After I tackle the idea of exercising toward more energy, I’ll focus on the opposite, getting better sleep. Unlike Rubin, I probably get enough sleep (at least 8hours) but I don’t sleep well. If I can start to relax and learn to sleep better, then hopefully my energy will improve and I will start to feel better.

Until next time,
Fabulous KT

1 comment:

Everyday Adventures said...

Yay!! great post, glad you are enjoying the book and diving right into the project!!