Thursday, April 22, 2010

Month #1 continue – how to sleep better

A few weeks ago, I declared the start of my Happiness Project, based on Gretchen Rubin’s “Happiness Project.” Each Thursday I’ll be writing about my process and the small steps I’m taking toward a happier me.

After one week of focusing on exercising better, I have discovered 10,000 steps is A LOT. However, having a small little device hooked to my hip measuring my every step is kind of inspiring. In addition to my weekly yoga class, I wanted to add steps to my daily routine and slowly add a little better exercise to my life without having to commit to a crazy work-out schedule. I am hoping to increase my average daily steps by 500 until I reach my 10,000 (or 5 miles a day) goal. Right now, I am averaging about 4500 steps. With the warmer weather approaching, after-dinner walks will soon return and I will quickly be on my way to increasing my energy by exercising better.

Another element that Rubin focused on this month is sleeping better. For me, this is a big challenge. While I do sleep for roughly 8-9 hours, I wake up two to three times a night. The librarian in me did some research and found a few tips to make each night a little better.

1. Avoid using the computer or anything that could cause you to stress. I have been trying to relax and just enjoy my evenings. I’ve been super busy this week so this hasn’t been hard. Instead of sitting on the web, mindlessly browsing Facebook, I’m trying to read or just lay in bed and try to go to sleep.
2. Turn off the TV. This is a hard one, as my hubby and I tend to fall asleep with the tube on. Given his crazy work schedule this time of year, he is usually conked out before me so I’ve been trying to shut off the television when I feel tired instead of trying to “listen” and sleep at the same time.
3. No caffeine, alcohol or other “stuff” before bed. I am not a bit drinker and too much caffeine makes me jittery so this isn’t really a change for me, just something to pass along.
4.RELAX. This is the big one for me. Bedtime is NOT the time to reflect on the day’s events. It’s not time to solve the world’s problems. It’s time to sleep.

I’m not sure if it is the new energy from exercising or my busy schedule but the past few night have been fairly constant when it comes to sleep. I haven’t gotten up to use the bathroom or found myself waking in a panic (this is another bad habit that I’ve formed by being too stressed.) I’m trying to let things go and not worry so much. It’s often easier said than done but there is a conscious effort going on.
Thus far on my journey, I have been a little bit “happier”. Like I said, I’m trying not to worry as much and trying to live life to the fullest every day.

Next week, I’ll reflect on how this month has been and what to look forward to for May. For now, I’ll leave you with a quote or mantra that my Yoga instructor read the other night… “I am strong. I am healthy. I am beautiful.” No matter what people may think, it is important to always remember this. By focusing on increasing my energy, I am reminding myself that yes, I am strong. I am healthy and I am beautiful!

Until Next Time,
Fabulous KT

1 comment:

Everyday Adventures said...

Thanks for the sleep tips and I agree shutting the tv is hard as well as the computer for me! Great progess:)