Monday, April 5, 2010

Learning how NOT to be perfect

Reading has always been my escape – my way to relax and head off to another world. That being said, I tend to look for works that inspire me or make me feel something while still being fresh and enjoyable. However, every so often I also try to read something with a little more substance that can help me grow or learn something new. Super Girls Speak out: Inside the Secret crisis of Overachieving Girls by Liz Funk was the latest book that really made me think about myself and my journey toward personal acceptance. This ethnographic-memoir-self-help book talks about the increasing number of girls who are striving to be perfect in every sense of the word. From overbooked social calendars to chart-topping grades to having the perfect hair color, girls (and grown women) are placing high, sometimes unrealistic expectations on themselves and feeling the pressure. The book is probably geared more toward college-aged girls than my more “mature” self. But I found the book fascinating. Even though I am a bit older than most of the girls covered in the book, I could totally relate to the feelings of insecurity and self-driven pressure to be the best. Whether it is having the “perfect” body or the “best job”, perfectionism spans the generations. The stories of harried high school life brought me back to my own teenage years when being popular, smart and beautiful were top priorities. I could still relate to many experiences even in my post-collegiate “grown up” life. I’d like to say I’ve “grown” out of the perfection model, but that would be a lie. Perfectionism is something that lives deep within me. I am working on accepting my flaws and learning to love the life I live instead of coveting a “better” one. Funk gave some interesting insight to a world I know too well and reminded me that I am not alone. While being the best is not always a bad thing to strive for, it is not the end-all, be-all of life. Our flaws and mistakes are what shape us and make us individuals. There is nothing wrong with striving to do more, but sometimes it’s good to stop and breathe. This is a definite recommended read for any woman who’s ever struggled with what it’s like to never be satisfied.

No comments: